Blow The Wind Northerly - Stevenson Winds
Stevenson Winds is the Conservatoire’s prestige wind ensemble created to promote the outstanding talent in the Woodwind Department at the RCS. Whilst the core ensemble comprises the traditional wind octet line-up (pairs of oboes, clarinets, bassoons and horns), it is also frequently expanded and reduced to encompass the broadest spectrum of repertoire. Since its debut in 2009, the ensemble has performed to widespread critical and audience acclaim at numerous prestigious venues and several high profile festivals such as Perth’s International Arts and Lammermuir.
The ensemble is named in memory of the influential benefactor Sir Daniel Stevenson (1853-1944). Passionate about music, Stevenson was instrumental in the creation of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music in 1929. At this time the corner building in St George’s Place, Glasgow, was acquired through his generosity and today the main concert hall at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland bears his name.
Heather Nicoll Head of Woodwind
‘If proof were needed of the immense talent currently nurtured in Britain’s conservatoires, then here is a striking example. The programme is enterprising, well planned for straight-through listening and plugs several gaps in the catalogue at once. With young players of this quality, the future is indeed bright. Thus excellent and most listenable disc is calling-card of which any conservatoire could be proud.’ Michael Round, International Record Review, February 2013